Chillin'


'Been spending the last two weeks teaching Spanish 1 and 2 - the start is always exciting and the students are very engaged in class.  During my off-time, I have been riding my bike with Camas to Poña Point, walking to the Cross, watching That 70s Show, and -believe it or not- making y'all's Christmas cards - not to mention finishing up the last Xmas gift (for Dana!).  I've also been (finally) trying to finish reading Don Quijote de la Mancha, I'm within 100 pages of finishing!! It's one of the funniest books on the planet.

Stats on my classes this year: I have 3 classes of Spanish - 12, 13, and 15 students (10th, 11th, and 12th grades).  In homeroom I have 9 (10th graders).  Teachers work 7:30-3:30, unless there's a meeting and we stay until 4:30.  We rotate weeks of supervising during lunch.  This week I supervised the cafeteria, and therefore managed to salvage about 8 apples from students who were going to just throw them in the pig-food bin - they are $1 each here on Rota! So I saved some moo-lah :)

For el 15 de septiembre (independence day for El Salvador, Honduras, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Nicaragua), I wore a traditional dress all day, however I didn't get a picture - I'll have to put it back on so I can post one.

There was an awesome sunset today that Camas and I saw from the cross, which is the picture above.

I'm patiently waiting for Noé to get here (Nov 5th).  I ride my bike everywhere, now using my rack with saddle bags.  I bought a cool "backpack laundry bag" this summer, that fits 2 loads, and I ride to the laundromat in the village.  Today I was shopping at Anne's Convenient and it started pouring, so I hung out until it stopped.  Life is so casual here - you go the pace of what the weather allows.  Oh yeah - there's a new restaurant outside on the beach in front of my apartment named "Barefoot Tavern", which is open-air and they have a great $3.95 burger with fries, and lots of other local Chamorro and Filipino food.  They also have some "Mexican" food...believe it or not.

Here's what our apartment looks like ($300/month!).  The picts were taken at night, so excuse the quality.  There are also 2 more bedrooms not pictured here.

Main bedroom
Main bedroom's closet space
Living room
Dining / computer table room
kitchen and arches
Bathroom

Comments

Popular Posts