Commentaries on island life

I've been home sick with the flu (probably caught it on my long flight) for the past 4 days.


So I called the consulting nurse yesterday (who is on the mainland) and some of the things she said - I kind of found them funny, because they didn't make sense here on Rota.  For example, when she's asking me questions about my fever:

-she says, "are you sweating profusely?", to which I said, "when am I ever NOT sweating profusely here?"

-she says, "do you have any rash, you know the kind that looks maybe like a sunburn?", to which I said, "fortunately not at the moment, it's been kind of overcast lately"

-and then she's telling me what to do for the fever and she says, "You should take a warm shower to help cool you down", to which I was initially confused, but then realized that mainlanders usually take HOT showers and that a WARM shower would be colder, whereas here we take COLD showers and a WARM shower would warm you up.

Just goes to show...

Comments

Popular Posts